Monday, November 18, 2013

Product Junkiesm



Happy New Year! Yes the title contains a made up word. Wanna fight about it?! Lol The picture was of my hair product...collection/stash. I posted this on Instagram and some people were impressed by the organization of it (I'm a bit obsessive about things being organized), some people wanted to be my friend so they could try the products (moochers! Lol), many people wanted to know if I use all of the products (I have but I mostly stick to my staple products) but most people thought I had a problem...and I guess I kinda do. 

I am a product junkie and not stage 1 or 2, but a full-fledged junkie. I love shopping, finding deals and trying new products. It's rare to find samples of products (though not impossible if you look online), so I've found that it's just easier for me to buy them. Then if I find a couple of products that work for me, I just buy the entire line which is why you see so many Oyin Hamade and Shea Moisture products. I've given away a lot of products especially when I made the transition to products with all natural ingredients (except for a select few items like the Aphogee protein and keratin products). 

I also go through phases which my collection reflects. For a short period of time, I was a mixtress inspired by many a YouTube video, blog, or forum. I would make my own products and some came out great, others were disasters. Through this phase, I collected many butters, oils, powders, and other natural ingredients like ACV, EVOO, aloe Vera juice/gel, and the list goes on. Then I got tired of that, so I just started buying products instead of making them.

My collection tells a story similar to that of many other newly natural ladies (I'm not that new to being natural, but the point still remains), that it is a process to find what products work for your hair and lifestyle. And throughout your journey, what may have worked before, may not work as well or you may find something better. TI think I've found what works for me now after 5 years (I'll make another post about products and my regimen), but I know it'll change again, because I'll see some new product that I want to try or the products that work now may not work the same because they change the formula or my hair gets accustomed to it.  

So one of my resolutions for 2014 is to not buy ANY hair products. Zip. Zero, because I have plenty and it will force me to use what I have instead of buying more stuff. I did however make my yearly Oyin Black Friday purchase because of the discount to get a lot of my staples...and bought some (lots) is Shea moisture products on sale so I don't run out! Hey don't judge me, just the thought of running out of sometjing gives me palpitations lol. This is going to be my toughest challenge yet!

0 comments:

Post a Comment