Friday, May 6, 2011

Sew-Ins No-Wins


I got my first sew-in almost two weeks ago and at first it hurt more than (what I believe) child birth does. And before you get it twisted, the braid (in a circle around my head...well more like a square...like you lol jk) was not tight. At. All. In fact, I felt no pain until she started to sew in the middle of the braids and do the closure. I was this close (holds thumb and index finger really close together) to telling ole girl to just stop, pay her her money and be out. I literally had to take some pills to get through the last part and I had trouble sleeping for the next two days. And I wouldn't consider myself a punk when it comes to pain, but for serious that ish hurt like no other. And this is coming from someone who has had almost every kind of braid known to man done on my hair, including crochet braids (and I distinctly remember one time some hiefer did the corn rows under instead of over...woo if you know what I'm talking about, I'm sorry, I feel your pain but, this hurt worse).

So after the pain subsided and I was liking how my hair looked, then the itching came. At first it was just slight, and it progressed to a full-fledged force all over my head. I tried oiling my scalp to no avail. So then I go to Google and type in "itchy sew-in." I got some information almost all of which stated not to get cheap hair, but I already did and got it installed, so what's next? I see something about aloe vera and tea tree oil, which I have in my natural hair arsenal, so I decide to try it.

I tried to apply some aloe vera with some tea tree oil in it. By now my hair is looking kinda fuzzy from all the manipulation and scratching (and did I mention the hair was cheap?), but so far nothing has worked. So I finally say F this and proceed to try to wash it with some tea tree soap (Dr. Bronner's) which was an experience in and of itself. the hair got heavy, It was difficult to get to my scalp (which to me is how a good sew-in should be, but what do I know), but I did the best I could.

So even after all this, my head is still itching and looks even fuzzier (more like it has been up for a month instead of just 1 week). And the itching is just to the point that I just want to shave all my hair off for some relief. And my scratching has caused little scabs, but it had to be done. I even woke up in the middle of the night to scratch my scalp (or rub it since I had my satin scarf on). I was to the point of taking the style completely out... after only a week which is unheard of for me with any hairstyle.

So after yet another search online for remedies on Tuesday, I found that a few people mentioned Witch Hazel, which I also have, so on my lunch break I went home, mixed some Witch Hazel, distilled water and a few drops of tea tree oil in an application bottle and voila the itching was almost all gone (ALMOST because I only applied it to areas that were itching at the time). When I went home for the day, I reapplied the witch hazel mix, then the aloe vera mix, then some oil on my scalp, which seemed to help alot.

So today is one day short of 2 weeks, and it will come down tonight!. My first sew in looks a fuzzy mess now, BUT at least when I get it done again (which I am willing to try at least once more since I have all this knowledge and my first time may have been a fluke), I know what to do.

A few tips, I've discovered from my online search:
-Use human hair (it causes less irritation than synthetic for most people because less chemicals are used)
-If you are not a baller (like me) and you MUST use synthetic hair, soak the hair in some vinegar and water and let air dry prior to installation to get rid of the chemicals used in the hair
-Make sure your scalp is clean and well-oiled prior to installation
- If your head starts to itch, do not scratch it (I know I know...do as I say not as I do:( ). I would try the witch hazel and water trick first since it actually worked immediately, then the aloe vera and tea tree oil if the witch hazel doesn't do the trick, and finally if neither of those work then wash and condition your scalp

General tips to keep in mind when you have protective styles with fake (meaning not grown by you) hair:
-Make sure your hair is clean prior to installation (should be a no-brainer)
-Wash at least bi-weekly to prevent build up and to have a healthy scalp (no one like a smelly weave...no one)
- Oil your scalp regularly
- The take away message here is to not neglect your hair, just because you have it done, beauty never rests

I didn't post the entire process like Lady C, but below are a couple of pictures of my hair before and after the itchiness.

After 2 days (done on Saturday night, this is the Monday after)


After 1 week (itchiness has begun and the fuzziness as well)


Final Day...it's coming down tonight! (it's fuzzy to death and the picture doesn't do it justice...or I'm just that nitpicky.

2 comments:

dutchess said...

THIS is freaking hilarious!!! I know Im late but still funny none the less.

Anonymous said...

Girl you are so funny. I was sitting here reading your experience with your weave, because I'm ordering some hair and my last weave couple of years ago itched the heck out of me. So I'm trying not to have that happen again. But I'm reading this sitting here alone and dying out laughing. I was having not such a good day, but you made my day. :)

Post a Comment